5 Qualities of a Successful Leader
Nobody is born a great leader, being a strong leader is learned. As in many leadership roles it is a never ending self analysis and improvement process. First you have to understand the concept of leadership itself and how it can benefit and empower people around you. Here are five qualities of a great leader.
- Be a Visionary: “The only thing worse than being blind is having sight but no vision.” – Helen Keller. As a leader you have to set goals and provide direction to achieve the targets you have set.
- Be a Role Model: Who are the leaders you admire? Strive to be like them. What are the qualities you like in them? Like children your staff will learn more from your actions than from what you say.
- Be Accountable: No one is perfect, everyone will make mistakes. Sure being in charge does have some perks but, it also comes with more responsibilities and it definitely does not exonerate you from your poor decisions or behavior. Be accountable for your actions and decisions.
- Be A Great Communicator: Communication is a tricky one for leaders, some have a difficult time acquiring this skill set. Fortunately, this skill can be learned. Be aware of how you are communicating and how others perceive you and take action to improve this. And remember communication includes listening.
- Be Authentic: Authenticity builds trust with your team. It starts with being self-aware and knowing what your strength and weaknesses are. It is expressed through your genuine approach to issues and relationships. Let the real you shine.
Many people have never really worked under a great leader. Can you offer solid leadership to your team?
Authors: Karen Epp, Senior Finance & Accounting Consultant and Caroline Lau, Marketing Manager at Goldbeck Recruiting
CC Image: Addicted to Success.
Latest posts by Karen Epp (see all)
- Recruiting Fundamentals - November 29, 2016
- Nonverbal Communication Speaks Volumes in the Accounting Business - November 17, 2016
- Top 5 Traits For Hiring An Accountant - September 19, 2016