BC CPA: Important Facts You Must Know
BC CPA releases important information for all BC members on the use of the CPA designation
Who can use the CPA designation?
- The CPA designation is for use by members only at this time.
- A firm may NOT use the Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation in their firm’s name or descriptive style. Only a BC member who works in a firm would be able to use it as an individual.
- As members you are NOT required to use the Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation. Though do expect that the use of CPA, tagged with a member’s legacy designation, will become obligatory in the future.
How to use the designation?
If a member chooses to use the Chartered Professional Accountant designation now then it must be tagged with their legacy designation.
John Doe, CPA, CA
What if you are a BC member who also holds a CPA from the United States?
As a CA or CGA member who also holds a CPA from the United States you may use the US designation as long as it is accompanied by the name of the jurisdiction where the US CPA was granted.
Jane Doe, CPA, CA, CPA (Illinois)
BC member working in the US
Ultimately, it is each member’s responsibility to ensure that he or she represents his or her credentials appropriately and in accordance with the law in the relevant jurisdiction where they work.
BC member who also holds a CPA from another country
A member holding a CPA from another country, other than the US, is not permitted to use the CPA from another country in BC.
I am a BC member and work in another Canadian province or territory. Can I use the Chartered Professional Accountant designation in that other province or territory.
Each provincial organization regulates the use of their respective accounting designations in their province. You need to research the requirements of the jurisdiction before presenting yourself as a CGA, CMA or CA.
References: BC CPA website
Latest posts by Karen Epp (see all)
- An Approach to Succession Planning: How Long Are You Going to Wait? - August 29, 2018
- 5 Ways to stop Ageism getting in the way of your business - July 16, 2018
- Recruiting Fundamentals - November 29, 2016