Does Your Resume Pass The 30 Second Test?
Employers and recruiters spend less than 30 seconds to scan your resume and determine whether you have what it takes to move to the next hiring stage. You may be a great candidate but your resume may not reflect that. So how do you grab their attention in 30 seconds? Take the 30 second resume test to determine whether your resume passes the test.
How to Take the 30 Second Resume Test
- On the Job ad highlight 5-8 key skill requirements
- Fold the first page of your resume in half
- Set the clock to 30 seconds and count how many key skill requirements and accomplishments match the highlighted points in the job ad.
You could read a lot in 30 seconds, to pass the test you need to match at least 5 key skill requirements and or accomplishments within 30 seconds.
Think of how you might read a newspaper, you read headlines, bolded fonts and quotations. Rarely do we read a newspaper front to end without skipping a few paragraphs. Articles are usually organized with subheadings and, quotations are formatted as an easy attention grabber. Translate this to your resume.
The 5 – Point Resume Assessment series is focused on writing and marketing techniques specific to the resume and your online profile.
Latest posts by Henry Goldbeck (see all)
- Seminar: Women in PR - March 7, 2018
- Hiring Employees as Contractors - March 6, 2018
- How to win the talent war in the Engineering sector - March 1, 2018