Talent At Work: Recruitment and Career Blog

Main Avenues to Hire International Job Seekers

Posted on October 24th, by Henry Goldbeck in Recruitment. Comments Off on Main Avenues to Hire International Job Seekers


With the aging baby-boomer population and lower birth rates giving rise to labour shortages combined with a growing economy which is increasingly dependant on a highly educated, trained and skilled workforce, Canadian employers have never had more of a reason to hire internationally. Internationally Trained Workers (ITWs) not only fill Canada’s labour needs, their expertise in other languages and cultures can broaden their employer’s networks and help them become more competitive in the marketplace.

But how to go about finding and hiring an ITW? Here, we review several paths an employer can take:

Where ITWs Can Be Found

To find ITWs in Canada, employers can search online data banks such as Service Canada’s Job Bank. They can find them through job fairs, Universities, and Colleges, or by networking through their Canadian employees.

ITWs can also be found abroad through various immigration programs such as the Federal Skilled Worker Program or Temporary Foreign Worker Program. These programs offer access to candidates from job boards or sometimes from the Provincial Nominee Program.

Temporary Workers

If an employer is looking to hire an ITW in a temporary capacity (covered by the Temporary Foreign Worker Program), they must first establish if the ITW requires a Labour Market Impact Assessment, or LMIA.

An LMIA determines if a foreign worker is required to occupy the role when a Canadian worker is not able to do the job. Employers can check if they are exempt by visiting Canada’s government website which lists the exceptions. The employer can then send an application to Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) for approval.

If the ESDC gives a positive LMIA, the employer may submit an offer of employment to CIC by using this employer portal, from which they will be given a number. The ITW then applies for a work permit using the number given to them by the employer.

Permanentinternational-job-seekers Workers

Express Entry was initiated in January 2015 to streamline the applications of permanent workers through the Federal Skilled Worker & Trades Programs, the Canadian Experience Class, and part of the Provincial Nominee Program. In short, Express Entry is a way for employers to hire non-Canadians who do not have permanent resident status. Some of aforementioned programs also require the employer to obtain an LMIA before proceeding with a job offer.

International Student Workers

Employers can also hire international students on a part-time basis, provided they are a full- time student enrolled in a post secondary institution and have a study permit.  They are also permitted to work temporarily after completing their studies for a length of time determined as a ratio or the length of their full time studies in Canada.  Students are responsible for ensuring they are eligible to work; however, employers should still check that job candidates have a valid work permit related to their studies.  If they are currently studying, their educational institution will often provide them with documentation of the work permit as well as a letter of enrollment.


There is a multitude of solutions for finding and hiring non-Canadian workers, and the best path will vary from employer to employer depending on their industry and labour needs.

For specific questions we recommend speaking to a reputable Canadian Immigration lawyer.

Contact Us







The following two tabs change content below.
Henry E. Goldbeck, President and founder of Goldbeck Recruiting Inc, is a Certified Personnel Consultant (CPC) with over 24 years recruiting experience. In his 13 years at the helm of Goldbeck Recruiting, Henry has built the company's reputation as a leading headhunter and recruitment agency in sales, marketing, operations, engineering, and executive level positions across a variety of industries.

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: