March 8th – International Women’s Day
International Women’s Day (8 March) is a global day celebrating the economic, political and social achievements of women past, present and future.
2011 marks the 100-year anniversary of International Women’s Day. This year’s theme is “Equal access to education, training and science and technology: Pathway to decent work for women.”
Women in the Canadian Workforce
The Vancouver Sun has posted some interesting statistics provided by Statistics Canada on gender distribution within the Canadian workforce:
- Women are also firmly entrenched in the national workforce, where they make up 48 per cent of Canada’s 17 million workers (compared to 42 per cent in 1987).
- Women are proving more than competitive in high-earning career paths.
- Women now outnumber men in many career classifications.
- Women dominate 13 of the 15 fastest-growing job sectors, most of which involve working in offices, schools, the service industry and health facilities.
- Men still dominate Fortune 500 CEOs, but also less powerful jobs in the security business, the trades, oil and gas industry and manufacturing.
- Women accounted last year for 51 per cent of the 574,000 “professional” positions in business and finance, a big jump from 38 per cent in 1987.
- Females now hold 55 per cent of all “professional” occupations in health care, where they are the firm majority among physicians, specialists and managers. That’s a rise from 48 per cent in 1987.
- Women make up 67 per cent of the country’s 716,000 “teachers and professors.”
Women have not flocked to some job paths. They make up only 40 per cent of the country’s 230,000 cooks and chefs, 39 per cent of the nation’s gas station and grocery store attendants and 38 per cent of those in manufacturing.
Canadian women are also staying away in droves from the roughly two million jobs in the construction, transportation, mechanical and electrical trades, where they make up only six per cent of all workers.
Latest posts by Lougie (see all)
- Beware Bosses… Don’t Become A Voodoo Doll! - April 10, 2018
- Executive Coaching: For When Personal Stress Affects The Workplace - April 2, 2015
- Why Leaders Lose Motivation: Feeling Overwhelmed - March 6, 2015