Karen Epp of Goldbeck Recruiting comments on some fundamentals Recruiters may want to know.
1.) What are some shortcuts recruiters start using once they’ve been in the game for a while?
1. “Many quit replying to applicants.
2. Stopping the search once you have several suitable candidates.
3 Not keeping records of your meeting.
4. Not following up promptly with candidates and clients.”
2.) How can these affect the hiring process?
1. “This doesn’t affect the process. Its value is that you are continually building your database of suitable
candidates. People appreciate a thoughtful reply.
2. I always continue to be open and to speak with new candidates as there are often times when you think you have found the person for the job and things fall through. Always good to have additional candidates on hand.
3. If you are in recruitment for the long haul, your notes will be of value when a candidate comes back to you in the future. (heck if you are getting older your memory might need assistance!)
4. Prompt follow up with candidates after an interview keeps you informed on the progress and interest and it also builds rapport with candidates for future opportunities if this one is not a fit. Prompt follow up with clients also keeps you in ‘the know’ and keeps the search moving forward. Some decision makers need you to keep them on track.”
3.) What’s the most important recruiting rule that should never be forgotten or broken?
“Open, honest communication and respect. We are here to serve others.
4.) The most important skill that shouldn’t be undervalued? Intuition
5.) What advice do you have for recruiters who want to get back to basics and refocus on the fundamentals of recruiting?
Talk to people both candidates and potential clients. Stay in touch with them and get to know them. One at a time!”
Latest posts by Karen Epp (see all)
- 5 Ways to stop Ageism getting in the way of your business - July 16, 2018
- Recruiting Fundamentals - November 29, 2016
- Nonverbal Communication Speaks Volumes in the Accounting Business - November 17, 2016