Our client is non-profit that has sought to build better futures in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside by providing essential services, community connection, and healing. Currently, they are looking for a bookkeeper to cover the current employee who will be on maternity leave soon. This Bookkeeper will be responsible for regular financial reporting, reconciliations, maintenance of adequate systems of accounting records, and ensuring accuracy of the firm’s financial records.
· Maintains and enforces a documented system of accounting policies & procedures.
· Oversees the operations of the accounting department, including control systems, transaction-processing operations, policies, and procedures.
· Ensure accounts payable are paid in a timely manner and that all reasonable discounts are taken; process cheque runs & prepare/process electronic payments and transfers.
· Assist the Payroll & Benefits Coordinator with payroll reporting problems or in correcting errors.
· Review bi-weekly payroll before finalization.
· Ensure that bank reconciliations are completed.
· Maintain orderly accounting filing systems.
· Make weekly bank deposits and enter bank deposit information from the Raiser’s Edge (fundraising) software as receipts in the QuickBooks accounting system.
· Issue timely and complete monthly financial statements.
· Preparation of financial reporting to institutional funders & for annual reports, as necessary.
· Coordinate annual budgeting processes, in partnership with Executive Director and Director of Finance.
· 5-7 years of experience in a finance/accounting department of a mid-sized organization.
· Expertise with payroll software and general understanding of requirements of processing payroll in a Canadian context.
· Expertise with Raiser’s Edge a plus
· Be extremely detail oriented, organized, and have well-developed interpersonal skills.
· Take initiative and be flexible in dealing with problems and unknown situations.