Our client is dedicated to transforming agriculture in multiple sectors – from growing to the production process that result in delicious, nutritious, and sustainable food. Clean. Green. Local. They have developed intellectual property with the objective of improving plant cultivation and processing, in order to meet growing consumer demand and global need. Committed to grow, produce, and process all products in a more environmentally respectful and sustainable ways.
The team is a group of smart, talented, caring, funny and exceptional people at what they do. They are collaborative and supportive. The Controller will report to the Senior Director of Finance and will oversee Administration and IT.
As a publicly traded company newly listed on NASDAQ, they are looking for a Controller with previous experience with US GAAP, SEC and audit experience with public companies.
Administration & IT
· Oversee the IT function for purchasing, projects implementation, and liaising with IT providers.
· Establish physical file and documentation system.
· Manage administrative support functions for both human and physical assets.
· Liaise with human resources and recruiting agencies as necessary.
· Develop and implement Company’s Administrative policies and procedures.
· Responsible for the daily management of the IT function, including hardware assets and software.
- Implement and maintain an operable system of keeping and maintaining accounting records.
- Oversee all employees involved in the accounting process, including accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, inventory and compliance.
- Work with Human Resources to identify key hires and identify departmental human resource needs ensuring proper training, counseling and disciplining of department staff whilst monitoring and appraising performance.
- Oversee all subsidiary accounting and control systems including managing any subsidiary direct reports.
- Oversee any foreign subsidiary financial reporting as required for consolidation purposes, tax purposes and filing purposes.
- Coordinate and manage third party audits ensuring auditors have appropriate access to Company accounting records.
- Stay apprised of local, provincial, state and federal tax laws and business regulations that affect the Company and ensure all policies, procedures and controls ensure the Company operates within them.
- Recommend and assist with the development of benchmarks, financial and operating metrics and KPI’s.
- Manage the production of annual budgets and forecasts.
- Provide financial analysis and support as needed for particular capital investment decisions, pricing decisions and contract negotiations.
- Work with the Executive team in the preparation of quarterly and annual reports as required.
- Ensuring confidentiality of information ensuring appropriate control of access to information.
- Manage banking relationships including the treasury function by working with Executive Management to reduce exchange rate risk exposure while ensuring returns are maximized.
- Review reasonableness of payments to vendors and the preparation of cash flow reporting.
- Screen and assist in vendor selection.
- Ensure that all reasonable discounts are taken on accounts payable.
- Review and approve bank transfers for vendor payments and ensure appropriately distributed.
- Ensure accounts receivable are collected promptly.
- Process payroll in a timely manner.
- Ensure bank reconciliations are completed.
- Support month-end and year-end closing if applicable.
- Ensure that required debt payments are made on a timely basis.
- Maintain chart of accounts.
- Responsible for monthly cash requirements.
- Ensure proper recording, administration, and reimbursement of employee expenses.
- Negotiate foreign exchange currency for foreign currency.
- Responsible for managing lease contracts, corporate credit cards and other similar credit facilities where applicable.
- Issue timely and complete financial statements.
- Calculate budget variance, reporting significant issues to executive management and suggest possible corrective measures.
- Provide management cost reports.
- Schedule expenditures.
- Minimum of five years in senior accounting and administrative position.
- North American CPA license; additional educational qualifications considered an advantage, in particular accounting designation(s) and graduate business degree.
- Experience with SEC, US GAAP and audit for public companies traded on a US exchange
- Good problem-solving skills.
- Strong numerical proficiency.
- Leadership skills
- Ability to multi-task.
- Exemplary planning and time management skills.
- Discretion and confidentiality.
- Ability to think proactively and prioritize work.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, accounting, ERP programs such as Xero, Dynamics, or SAP One.