Our client is a well-established non-profit organization with an environmental focus. The Controller will report to the Director of Operations and have full oversight of the day-to-day accounting and finances.
This role is responsible for the overall financial management, including the preparation. and review of financial reporting materials. The Controller in responsible for the budgeting, financial forecasting, cash flow and coordination of audit activities. Oversight of the finance department is a key activity, as well as the finance aspect of the program activities.
The Controller will build close relationships with the coordinators of all other job functions associated with finance – Project Management, Fundraising, Communications, Business Corporations and Finance and Administration – to ensure that the organization’s goals and objectives are achieved.
This will be a busy and challenging role offering exciting opportunities to collaborate with professionals in business, government, and environmental experts.
You are a creative multi-tasker who is passionate about your work and team. You thrive in working for a purpose and can roll up your sleeves as needed to help others. You are engaging and enjoy working with a wide range of professional people.
The position has the potential to become a hybrid role after being established in the role.
The Controller oversees the daily accounting operations and ensures accurate, complete and high-quality financial reporting. This role develops positive and productive working relationships with the finance team, program managers, program teams, senior management and board, working closely with them to understand their financial needs and developing financial solutions that support the achievement of the vision, mission, and purpose. The work includes:
- Review and document existing financial processes and policies, making
- recommendations for change where they can be improved
- Reviewing monthly bookkeeping, working papers, and adjusting journal entries
- prepared by the finance team for accuracy and completeness.
- Reviewing year-end working papers and financial statements prepared by the
- finance team
- Preparing more complex working papers and providing oversight and direction
- (training) for the finance team and senior management
- Developing more complex financial reports in the accounting software, and related
- working papers in preparation for year-end filing and quarterly reporting- Providing support, training, and direction throughout the year to senior management
- and program managers including:
- Preparing financial funder reports
- Monitoring compliance in GST, payroll, etc.
- Working with Operations and Programs to develop individual and global fund/funder
- and program or project budgets
- Generating budget-versus-actual reports and working with management to analyze
- the source of the variances to assist in their internal and external reporting and
- decision making
- Working with Executive Directors, Board of Directors, and management to develop
- appropriate internal controls for their organization
- Helping organizations identify and document appropriate financial management roles
- and responsibilities and create financial management job descriptions
- Leveraging the strengths of finance team members, and providing training to support
- individuals in achieving their optimal potential and organizational goals
- Working directly with external accountants and auditors to ensure a smooth and
- successful year-end process
- Providing effective training to the finance team, ensuring that all routine tasks are
- delegated, and performed accurately.
The Controller position is responsible for seven key functions:
Payroll and benefits
Financial reporting and working papers.
Files and documents
Relationship with internal parties
Participation in staff team & program manager meetings
- CPA Designation
- Experience working in a non-profit organization in a Controller role or experience serving on a charity board of directors. Social purpose sector experience.
- Preference will be given to individuals who have worked with indigenous organizations, nations, or companies.
- Certification in Project Management and Change Management is a plus.
- Strong leadership experience.
- Strong skills with technology – currently using Quickbooks Desktop and Sage 50
- Experience with audit, legal compliance, and budget development
- Experience implementing time-sensitive projects.
- Experience with developing project plans leading implementations and managing teams to mitigate risks, address issues, and achieve established milestones and defined outcomes, on time and on budget.
- Experience designing and delivering board presentations including gathering, evaluating, presenting, and reporting financial information, analysis, insights, and recommendations to executive teams and external stakeholders.
- Financial analysis and reporting, reconciliations
- Budgeting and planning and forecasting and organizational performance analysis
- Financial policy development, interpretation, and application
- Financial Risk management
- Grant and contract management