Our client is a retail-focused organization with a light manufacturing component. We are looking for a Director to join their team. This person will oversee multiple plant managers/production managers across multiple facilities in Canada. Continuous improvement is a major focus of the position, as well as leading with the organization’s core values. We are looking for leaders from light manufacturing to join their team with experience managing multiple plant/production sites.
The successful person will be accountable for all processes related to production, inventory, and distribution of multiple facilities. He or she will be responsible for strategic and tactical responsibility of all goals, leading a team of general managers to maximize efficiencies, optimize production levels and drive operational excellence.
This individual will report to the VP of Operations. This position will be based in Toronto or another ajor city in Canada. Travel of 60-80% is required across Canada.
- Establishes, implements, and reinforces team goals and works with multiple teams to execute, measure progress, and share results.
- Identifies gaps, recommends solutions, and implements process and workflow improvements to help operations scale rapidly and remove barriers to execution. Works with General Managers to implement improvements and ensure quality control.
- Optimizes cost performance of facility through the development of a continuous improvement culture encompassing efficient principles and clear strategic development.
- Develops strong, collaborative relationships with Regional Directors and other key stakeholders across the company, promoting the objectives of the facilities, and reviewing quality of production.
- Plans for additional facilities in partnership with key operations stakeholders.
- Works effectively with sourcing/procurement to ensure product supply meets planned quotas; collaborates on solutions for both the quantity and quality of delivered merchandise.
- Ensures the recycling program is fully leveraged to reduce waste.
- Prepares the annual budget, including all capital expenditure proposals, across facilities.
- Oversees General Managers in proactively planning staffing needs, recruiting, selecting and training all team members within the facilities.
- Regularly interacts, trains, coaches, and counsels General Managers.
- Identifies and develops high potential team members for the General Manager position. Ensures a robust succession plan is maintained for all management positions, promoting development through on-the-job, guided work.
- Role models and maintains a respectful, values-driven workplace that adheres to all company Policies and Procedures.
- Maintains a safe work environment across all facilities ensuring environmental, health and safety, manufacturing, and quality standards and procedures are adhered to in all facilities.
- Protects company assets and information by ensuring their safe handling, security, and integrity.
- Proactively promotes loss prevention awareness by upholding procedures and ensuring policies are in place.
- An engineering degree is an asset but not required.
- 10+ years in light manufacturing or industrial management with 5+ years overseeing multiple production facilities.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience as a general manager, plant manager, production manager, or equivalent of a light manufacturing facility.
- A minimum of 5 years overseeing multiple production facilities.
- Experience implementing continuous improvement/lean manufacturing processes.
- A solid understanding of equipment and machinery, such as conveyors, robots, forklifts, compactors, balers, compressors, etc.
- Demonstrated experience leading a multi-unit manufacturing function with a proven track record in strategic manufacturing leadership delivering processes and systems.
- Knowledge and technical understanding of manufacturing processes, components, and techniques.
- A passion for the environment/sustainability is an asset but not required.
- Willing to travel 60-80% of the time across Canada.