Our client is a well-established privately held transportation company. They are looking for a leader for their finance team. They are fast-moving and offer lots of challenges. Using lean methodology in their workflow.
The Director of Finance will have two direct reports – Controller and the Traffic/Pricing Manager. 10.5 indirect reports. Looking for a coaching mentality.
The ideal candidate will come from logistics or warehousing.
- Provides financial strategic insights, advice and expertise to corporate leadership, the Executive Management Team, and other Department Leaders on fiscal measures, responsibilities and increasing profitability.
- Participates as a member of the Executive Management Team, reporting status updates on finance and pricing initiatives, and advising on critical issues as they emerge.
- Oversees the Traffic/Pricing Department.
- Provides on-time regular financial reporting to the ownership, and executive leadership.
- Responsible for financial controls, accounting and reporting, financial systems, and related compliance.
- Responsible for bookkeeping and financial reporting services for other entities as required.
- Analyzes financial performance, identifying growth opportunities for improvements in cash flows, and manages risks.
- Provides leadership and support to Accounting and Pricing staff, including performance development/management.
- Develops and monitors objectives for the finance department.
- Reviews, refines and streamlines finance procedures for efficiency.
- Develops and implements financial policies and procedures.
- Oversees and manages financial reporting and budgeting processes.
- Leads, manages and oversees all financial affairs for the company.
- Ensures compliance with financial regulations, industry standards and reporting requirements.
- Responsible for accident and insurance claims.
- Participates in other duties and special projects as assigned.
- A Degree in Finance or Accounting with ten (10) years’ demonstrated progressively responsible experience in financial management, accounting/finance and business administration experience; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- CPA designation required; a member in good standing.
- Public Practice and industry experience.
- Solid experience of budgeting and financial planning.
- Solid working knowledge of Canadian Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Exceptional level use of the Microsoft Office suite of programs with advanced knowledge in Excel.
- Knowledge and experience with accounting systems/software.
- Knowledge and experience in the Transportation industry.
- Knowledge and experience with a Transportation Management System (TMS); preferably TruckMate.
- Exceptional ability to monitor, allocate, and control finances on a large scale.
- Ability to collate, organize and analyze confidential information obtained from a range of internal and external sources to assist in decision making.
- Ability to present financial analysis and projections to company stakeholders.
- Ability to effectively lead, manage, coach and develop others.
- Looks for ways to improve processes and procedures; helps drive continuous improvement.
- Time management; effectively plans and organizes self and/others to achieve goals, prioritize tasks; allocates time and resources accordingly; deals effectively with interruptions and multiple deadlines.
- Customer focused and responds to inquiries in a timely manner; takes responsibility for meeting internal and external customer requirements and solving problems.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, to be effective in requesting and delivering information.
- Ability to think critically, creatively and strategically in a complex environment with multiple stakeholders; analyzing and interpreting information and data to resolve problems related to area of expertise.
- Team player who collaborates with others to achieve goals, objectives, and deliverables; demonstrates ability to engage, motivate, develop and mentor staff.
- Self-starter with the ability to exercise considerable independence, judgement, confidence in decision-making and requires minimal supervision; takes initiatives to make things happen without being asked and anticipates tasks that need to be done.
- Positive attitude that communicates job-related issues with a constructive, problem-solving approach; always willing to take on new challenges.
- Maintains a high degree of confidentiality in the performance of all aspects of the position.