We are representing Genome BC, a not-for-profit organization supporting world-class genomics research and innovation to grow globally competitive life sciences sectors and deliver sustainable benefits for British Columbia, Canada and beyond. The organization’s initiatives are improving the lives of British Columbians by advancing health care in addition to addressing environmental and natural resource challenges. In addition to scientific programming, Genome BC works to integrate genomics into society by supporting responsible research and innovation and foster an understanding and appreciation of the life sciences among educators, students and the public. https://www.genomebc.ca/about/working-at-genome-bc/#currentopp
Reporting Structure: Reports to the Chief Scientific Officer and Vice President Research and Innovation
Direct Reports: Senior Research and Innovation Manager, Project Management, Senior Research and Innovation Manager, Funding Programs and Research and Innovation Coordinator
The Director of Research and Innovation Operations is a collaborative member of the Research and Innovation team and works seamlessly across the organization. Reporting to and working closely with the Chief Scientific Officer and Vice President Research and Innovation, you will work closely with the executive team to advance the Genome BC Research and Innovation mandate, contribute to Research and innovation operational and organizational decisions and determine and implement processes to capture Research and Innovation performance metrics in support of Genome BC strategic goals. You will also work closely with Senior Managers in Research and Innovation in the development and analysis of operational processes, recommending solutions for improvement as appropriate and setting goals for operational efficiency and increased productivity. In collaboration with other Genome BC departments, you will share best practices in program management and sector development across the organization and work to maximize efficiency and productivity through process analysis. You will work on the development and reporting of project financials and budgetary plans in conjunction with Research and Innovation managers and finance personnel.
You are an enthusiastic, organized, independent, and creative individual with a passion for science and innovation. You possess confidence and experience; you aspire to work in a high-energy and committed team and to represent Genome BC in varied settings. With a keen eye for detail, you understand the importance of research oversight and project management. You can translate the vision and mission of the organization to deliver on its goals and objectives. You are motivated to excel in your position, support your team members and you believe that genomics has the potential to positively impact the lives of British Columbians.
· Develop, implement, and communicate the strategic direction of the Research and Innovation operations while providing expertise and guidance on operations, projects, funding programs development and systems
· Develop, implement, and monitor day-to-day Research and Innovation operational processes to provide visibility into the goals, progress, and challenges of key programs, initiatives, and projects
· Work closely with the Senior Research and Innovation Manager, Project Management, to oversee, anticipate and efficiently resolve challenges related to the management of Genome BC’s project portfolio including, capacity planning to meet projected workload and coaching and development
· Plan, monitor, and analyze key metrics for day-to-day Research and Innovation operations to ensure efficient and timely completion of tasks and reporting
· Oversee and maintain effective and efficient reporting processes that support the achievement of Genome BC’s strategic goals
· Work closely with the Senior Research and Innovation Manager, New Programs to:
· Develop and implement strategies for ensuring the efficient delivery of Genome BC programs
· Implement process improvements, and
· Liaise with Genome Canada, other regional Genome Centres and other partners, at a national level in matters related to program management and coordination
· Maintain knowledge of emerging technologies and best practices in operations management
· Identifies training needs and ensures proper training is developed and provided.
· Support the recruitment and onboarding of new Research and Innovation staff.
· Build relationships and collaborate with managers and the executive, to inform decisions regarding operational activity and goals
· Work closely with the executive and Human Resources to lead the team in alignment with Genome BC’s values, establishing and maintaining a trusting, inclusive, and productive environment
· Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in business administration or related field, MBA or equivalent is preferred
· Ten or more years of experience in a related industry (related industries could be healthcare, not-for-profit, or research)
· At least 5 years of experience in senior management and experience managing others, ideally in a matrix environment
· Hands-on experience in process improvement of business operations
· Specific experience related to research and innovation operational processes is a major asset
· Strong working knowledge of data analysis and performance metrics, using business management software (ex: SAP, ERP, CRM)
· Excellent interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication
· Excellent organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills
· Excellent knowledge of multiple operational processes and best practices
· Proven ability to plan and manage operations for maximum efficiency and productivity
· Ability to streamline processes and implement solutions that boost speed and efficiency while supporting rapidly shifting business demands
· Ability to work in a fast paced, dynamic environment with frequent deadlines
· Ability to think broadly and understand strategic priorities