Our client is the corporate head office of a successful Canadian distribution company with distribution centers across Canada. In addition to distribution they have timber ownership, timberlands, trucking and treatment plants.
The Division Controller will report to the Corporate Controller and will be responsible for the divisions financial reporting, ensure adherence with financial and budgetary controls, policies and procedure and coordinate year-end audits and annual budgeting.
As company has recently acquired subsidiaries the Division Controller will revamp accounting processes. Strong communication skills to work with operations. Forestry/Lumber experience required. May consider similar industry experience.
- Take a leadership role in month-end closing processes under tight reporting deadlines
- Review in detail and approve monthly, quarterly, and annual divisional financial statements prior to submission to corporate head office
- Report monthly, quarterly, and annual financial results in accordance with IFRS to corporate head office for consolidation
- Provide regular updates to the corporate head office with respect to financial results and year-over-year and budget-to-actual variances
- Continually influence and educate operational management in the field on the application of accounting processes
- Liaise with external auditors regarding annual audit requests
- Coordinate the division’s annual budgeting process
- Manage the divisional finance team, which is comprised of an Accounting Manager and three accountants.
- Champions best practices, creative thinking, effective planning, and timely decision-making
- Acts as a mentor to direct reports
- Creates and maintains a positive, productive, and transparent work environment and team atmosphere
- Establishes priorities and allocate work to ensure that the accounting staff are organized, and the department operates at maximum efficiency
- Manages day-to-day activities of direct reports to ensure adherence to established deadlines, while maintaining quality of work efforts
- Addresses employee issues in a fair and consistent manner
- Conducts performance assessments on a regular basis
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Business
- CPA designation
- Minimum 5 years of controller experience
- Minimum 3 years of public accounting/auditing experience
- Forestry experience required
- Experience working with ERP systems
- Strong analytical, financial, and accounting skills
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with all levels of employees, management, and external agencies