Our client is a large building maintenance company looking for an HR Manager who will report to the VP of HR. This person will require a strong background in working with unionized employees as they have a large number of newly unionized employees. This is a highly transactional role with the potential for growth for a strong leader. You will have the support of a BP, Admin, and off-site Recruiters.
This is a fully in-office role with some potential to work at home once the person is well-established. Being available for staff is key during this changing time.
- Review and ensure the effectiveness of day-to-day functions of the Human Resources department including recruitment and selection, training, health and safety (in conjunction with the Safety department), attendance, discipline, and employee relations.
- Provide input and support to the VP, of Human Resources in the general operations of the Human Resources department.
- Monitor attendance and absenteeism.
- Administer discipline and employee counseling.
- Labor relations and collective agreement administration.
- Administer employee lay-offs and transfers.
- Help refine and direct recruitment, reference check, background check and interview process.
- Ensure the administration of 60/85 day evaluations for all employees.
- Assist the VP of Human Resources with a variety of issues, re: legislative, special assignment, etc.
- Attend/oversee Union/Employee/Management meetings as required.
- Assist with internal and external training initiatives.
- Advise and assist Director(s), Manager(s), Supervisor(s), and Team Lead(s) on the interpretation and administration of personnel policies, programs, and the collective agreement.
- Assist in the administration of benefits, performance management programs, retirement procedures and compensation.
- Educate both current and prospective employees on company policies regarding job duties, working conditions, safety (in conjunction with the Safety department), wages, career advancement opportunities, employee benefits and recreation programs.
- Maintain accurate records and compile statistical reports relating to personnel data, e.g. hires, transfers, absenteeism rates, and performance appraisals.
- Advise managers on company policy regarding equal opportunity employment, various forms of harassment, and any recommended changes.
- Ensure effective exit interviews and provide management with analysis and recommendations.
- Provide resolutions to employee relation issues (e.g. employee complaints and harassment allegations).
- Ensure the compatibility of applicants to job positions.
- Develop and provide recommendations for policies and processes.
- Provide research as requested.
- Plan, organize, and attend recruitment fairs as requested.
- Keep job descriptions current.
- Provide general information and assistance internally and externally over the phone, electronically and in person.
- Participate actively in all company training/education/orientation on health and safety.
- Follow, without exception, company health and safety policies and procedures.
- Comply with legislation, regulations, and codes.
- Operate tools and equipment safely, according to company procedure.
- Inspect, maintain, or replace all PPE that is required by site, Company and Legislated requirements prior to use.
- Participate as required in the safety meetings, safety inspections and hazard assessments of the workplace.
- Correct and/or report unsafe work conditions or unsafe acts.
- Report any injuries, and near misses. Participate in incident investigations as required.
- Offer ideas and recommendations for improvement.
- Actively promote health and safety awareness.
- Complete other duties and projects as assigned by senior management.
– Degree in HR or Business Administration with courses in HR
– CPHR Designation
– UNION experience is required. Minimum 4 plus years in union
o Mediating and negotiating.
o Full understanding of the collective agreement, grievance processes
o Ability to build relationships with Union Business Agents
– Supervisory is experience required.
– Ability to work in a high-volume environment.
– Able to build strong relationships with front-line staff.
– Past experience training Supervisors and Managers
– Past experience handling Health and Safety for a company
– Strong time management, planning, and organizing.
– Creative and innovative thinking
– Problem-solving, decision-making, and judgment.
– Accountability and dependability
– Team player