About the Operator Role
We are seeking a full-time Operator to support our client’s North American Office in a range of duties that include logistics administration, hedging assistance, trade finance compliance, relationship management with suppliers, ports, and agents, and general back-office support.
This position reports directly to the Head of Operations (based in Zug, Switzerland) and will have a dotted reporting line to the Head of North America Commercial (based in Vancouver, Canada).
The tasks outlined below are indicative and non-exhaustive. You will be assigned other fixed and ad hoc tasks by either the Head of Operations or the Head of North America Commercial in response to developing business needs.
· Responsible for arranging shipments (dry bulk, containers, etc.) in coordination with the Freight Desk, and Treasury Trade Finance Desk for releasing material in the warehouse.
· Maintain close control of any warehouse stocks.
· Prepare payment orders for purchase/sale and freight and make any required bookings in our operation system.
· Process invoices freights, and sundries payments.
· Place price risk orders (both price metal) linked to relevant commercial contracts in coordination through the internal LME desk.
· Perform monthly hedging reconciliation with the LME desk and clients.
Contact with field offices and/or direct suppliers:
· Regularly communicate (at least daily) with customers in relation to any commercial contractual obligations (availability of material, shipping instructions, payments, hedging, quality & weight, etc.).
· Provide general follow-up on any client’s exposure or claims.
Contact with port, ship agent, and labs:
· Arrange loading and discharging of vessels, vessel nominations, and laytime calculations (via Global Freight Team).
· Maintain close contact with supervision companies to arrange weighing, sampling, analysis, and due diligence of warehouses.
· Prepare party & umpire assay instruction, liquidation, assay exchange preparation, and courier preparation.
Treasury / Trade Finance:
· Issuing and negotiating Letters of Credit through the internal Treasury / Trade Finance desk
· Issuance of relevant invoicing and monitoring of payment or collection of funds
· Following up compliance with delivery and payment terms in line with contractual obligations
· Letters of Credit or Documentary Collection checking of workability, presentation, and negotiation via the internal Treasury / Trade Finance desk
Internal work / internal coordination:
· Assisting Traders on various accounts linked to the assigned contracts
· Following from drawing up / issuing contracts in coordination through the internal Contract desk
· Supervising/evaluating P&Ls and optimizing all costs of relevant commercial contracts
· General communication (emails, phone calls, meetings) from Traders to Contract Desk, to LME Desk, to Accounting Desk, to Deals Desk, to Treasury Trade Finance Desk, and to any other relevant part of the Group
Profile and Competencies
· Undergraduate degree in logistics, finance, economics, international business, or a similar related field
· Ability to work under time pressure and in a dynamic environment
· Must be able to handle a firm workload / take own initiative and willing to carry responsibility
· Advanced knowledge of MS Office
· Fluent in English, additional languages are a plus
· Prior experience in mining/trading/logistics & freight forwarding industry would be an asset
· Organized high achiever with an eye for detail, a strong work ethic, and confident communication skills
· Strong stakeholder management skills to engage, seek input and manage expectations of various internal departmental requirements
· Ability to think and act independently under pressure and flexibly solve a diverse range of challenges
· Comfortable handling complex situations with ambiguity and uncertainty
About the Company:
Our client is a leader in trading metals and minerals headquartered in Switzerland. They specialize in non-ferrous ores, concentrates, refined and precious metals, and their related by-products for a global smelting and processing customer base. Our client offers services including strategic mine equity investment, pre-export finance, structured commodity and project finance, and risk management.
Built upon detailed market intelligence and over 20 years of success, with offices in 9 countries around the globe, our client aims to continue to grow with honesty and integrity, proving to be an ethical and reliable partner. They possess a strong balance sheet, corporate backing, and a wealth of local and international knowledge, along with an experienced management team and entrepreneurial culture, which allows them to provide excellent service to their global client base.
Our client is committed to building upon existing relationships and forming new, lasting, and mutually beneficial partnerships. As a leader in trading metals and minerals, with a worldwide presence, our client strives to contribute to a responsible commodities trading sector. They are committed to respecting internationally recognized human rights and seek to conduct business in accordance with all applicable laws and the highest ethical standards. Their sourcing practices are aligned with the OECD Due Diligence Guidance for Responsible Supply Chains of Minerals from Conflict-Affected and High-Risk Areas and the Swiss Ordinance on Due Diligence Obligations and Transparency Regarding Minerals and Metals from Conflict Areas and Child Labor.
Our client’s stellar ESG performance is affirmed by their silver Ecovadis external rating and is proudly in the 84th percentile of all companies rated by the same in their industry.