Our client is a global manufacturer of medical devices with a strong focus on respiratory products. We are looking for an R&D Director to join their team based in Vancouver, BC. Our client manufactures products that have embedded software and a video component.
This individual will lead a team or R&D managers who are responsible for managing a team of approximately 40-50 engineers. He or she will be responsible for setting the tone of the overall department, driving innovation through product development, understanding customer concerns, and market trends, and driving products from concept to commercialization.
We are searching for R&D managers who have experience leading other managers doing product development for commercialization. They could come to any industry (medical devices, software, electrical, mechanical) where they are managing a large R&D department and developing complex products for consumer use. The successful candidate must have an engineering degree and will have experience working across multiple departments.
- Manage a multi-disciplinary R&D department with a wide range of engineering focuses
- Manage product launches to ensure timelines and deliverables are met
- Drive continuous improvement initiatives throughout product life cycles
- Liaise with other business units including sales, marketing, manufacturing, and quality assurance to ensure product life cycle success
- Lead and direct research efforts, meeting senior management priorities
- Develop research programs for product development from concept to commercialization
- Create and manage research programs that align with investment commitments
- Partner with sales, marketing and senior management on the product development process
- Ensure compliance with regulatory standards and internal quality values
- Build and mentor a strong R&D team
- Manage budgets for resources and workforce planning
- Collaborate with sales and marketing to understand market trends and customer feedback
- Engineering degree (ideally an electrical engineer)
- 10-12 years of professional engineering experience
- 5-8 years of R&D management experience focused on product development that leads to commercialization
- Experience managing a team of R&D leaders that in turn have direct reports
- A track record of success in delivering products on time and on budget
- Strong understanding of regulatory and compliance mechanisms
- Exceptional communication skills and people leader
- Experience with medical devices and/or products that have a video imaging component is a major asset