Our client is offering a very exciting opportunity for a career driven individual from the investment industry. They are a well-established family business with extensive investments in small to mid-cap companies who are ready for growth and need strategic investment to facilitate it. They invest in public and imminently public companies and have a portfolio of private placements, secondary offerings, and IPOs as well as alternative funding structures.
This is a key support position in the company and has strong potential for growth. You will be supporting with managing the company growth through detailed financial reporting, maintaining day to day accounting operations, cash management and investment management. Providing analytical support of future investments.
Will consider senior accountants from public practice with experience with clients the investment industry OR direct experience in the investment industry.
Financial Reporting (40%)
- Preparation of the Weekly Management Report.
- Preparation of annual financial statements.
- Preparation of regular mark-to-market gain/loss reports for all legal entities.
- Oversee supporting schedules for the preparation of all domestic and international tax returns.
- Monitor portfolio loan quality; maintain loan loss provisions calculations & documentation.
- Oversight of all financial technology & systems related to accounting.
Accounting Operations (35%)
- Manage all accounting operations, overseeing preparation of detailed, accurate records for all trading activity at all brokerages across all entities in the portfolio.
- Calculation of all investment and trading profits and losses.
- Accountable for the accuracy of all company records with all investments made.
- Tracking of all conversions processed, to ensure investment balances are up-to-date.
- Ensuring stock inventory positions are accurately reconciled on a monthly basis.
- Calculation of any foreign exchange gains and losses.
- Responsibility for managing intercompany loans and reporting of intercompany loan balances.
- Accurately record journal entries for all transactions for all legal entities in Quickbooks
- Assist with the preparation of 1099s, 1042s, and any other tax forms the companies may be required to issue.
Cash Management (25%)
- Preparation of daily cash position report.
- Preparation and maintenance of monthly cash flow forecast.
- Ensure monthly bank account reconciliations for all company cash and brokerage accounts are completed.
- Process and monitor all transactions at the banks and brokerages for proper cash settlements, and investment funding.
- Administer bank wire instructions.
- Maintain banking instructions and ensure all bank details and records are kept up to date.
Investment Management (10%)
- Assist with back-end investment operations, including investment settlements, trade price calculations and other operational activities where required.
- Ensure loan documents are maintained in accordance with company policies.
- Assist, as required with investment due diligence including SEC filing and financial statement review.
- Assist with the preparation of compliance documents for new account openings.
- Undergraduate degree in Business, Finance, Economics or Accounting
- Professional Accounting Designation required – preferable Canadian CPA
- At least 3 years of experience with investment accounting is REQUIRED
- Knowledge of accounting principles, US GAAP and IFRS
- Advanced Excel skills (comfortable with pivot tables)
- Strong Analytical skills to support investment decisions
- Experience with Quickbooks Online an asset
- Experience with Slack, Google Suite an asset
- Attention to detail and self-starter are essential traits
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Collaborative, adaptable, entrepreneurial team player