Our client is a well-established freight company offering a wide range of services to a variety of industries. They can count on their own fleet of trucks and trailers to guarantee a 1-2 day delivery within British Columbia, where they have multiple terminals and locations.
They are currently in need of a Traffic Manager who will be the head of the traffic department and charged with the task of cost analysis of service requirements in order to maintain profitable, competitive pricing while overseeing the traffic personnel (team of 4). They support corporate objectives of ongoing cost/benefit analysis aimed at informing Operations and the Business Development team for the purposes of growth, profit, and cost-management. The position will be based in Coquitlam, BC and will be part of the Executive Team.
The ideal candidate comes from the transportation, distribution or warehousing sectors and will have previous supervisory experience.
This is an amazing opportunity to join a successful, privately held organization offering a supporting and stimulating team environment and the chance to take the traffic department to the next level.
- Encourages and supports all Direct Reports, to continually create and maintain a working environment of efficiency and fairness, in consistent alignment with the Founding Values: Integrity, Accountability and Teamwork.
- Engages with Business Development team to ensure all pertinent pricing elements are collected and confirmed in order to develop competitive, profitable pricing proposals.
- Monitors, analyzes and reports on accounts for profitability; identifies and proposes strategies to increase profitability through opportunities in pricing or cost reduction.
- Proactively monitors fuel costs and competitor FSC (fuel surcharge) rates; confirm account performance is aligned with corporate FSC policy and recommend adjustments to senior management as required.
- Supports the Business Development Team in their efforts to secure new and retain existing business.
- Provides coaching and support to team members as necessary to optimize operational efficiency and customer satisfaction.
- Studies, gathers and disseminates market and competitor information to Executive Management team and the Business Development team.
- Reviews, prepares and responds to customer RFP’s in a timely and accurate manner with competitive and profitable rate proposals.
- Ensures the accurate and timely maintenance of TMS database and customer pricing files to ensure efficient and accurate rating.
- Conducts audits and reviews to ensure compliance with required procedures and practices, while also providing mentoring and guidance to other departments where appropriate.
- Provides administrative assistance in support of sales, operations, customer service and marketing as required.
- Responsible for the daily execution of freight rate process, chiefly for the purpose of on-time, accurate invoicing. Application of freight rates to outbound, inter-branch and local shipments.
- Supports the Company’s revenue goals associated with Added Value Service charges. Facilitates rating accuracy as well as reports on performance exceptions by service type, branch and driver.
- 5 years’ experience in a similar role preferred
- Supervision experience required
- Accounting background preferred
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Excellent organizational, customer service and communication skills
- Strong analytical, troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Ability to maintain a flexible and positive approach under pressure
- Able to think and act strategically
- Strong knowledge of the organization’s Employee policies
- Strong knowledge of all organizational LTL freight-handling requirements
- Strong interpersonal skills; able to engage, and lead
- Champions the organization’s Founding Values
- Ability to meet deadlines, work within time constraints
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills required
- Good memorization skills are essential
- Solid knowledge of geography of British Columbia required
- Ability to self-supervise and manage own workload